CHOCOLATES from around the WORLD:
A four-part series on natural perfumers
|DEATH BY CHOCOLATE|
What I really admire, Ms. Jones about is her passion in natural perfumery with over twenty years of success!
It is a new way of experiencing a homemade brownie with nuts!
DEATH BY CHOCOLATE works so well with your body chemistry. I cannot get over the warm sensation of it and it stays on four hours with no flat “after smell”.
If you are “craving” something more adventurous and more daring, then I suggest CRAVING for you.
CRAVING is described as being an “animalistic” fragrance because of the musk scent to it and that is why it was part of the “Mystery of Musk” Project that was run by the Natural Perfumers Guild.
CRAVING received wonderful reviews for its use of cocoa, vanilla, honey, caramel and coffee notes that makes it a superb gourmand fragrance.
Ms. Jones definitely created this fragrance with a lot of warmth because it too stays on for hours and the musk note stays strong.
I was so impressed by these two fragrances that I had to speak with Ms. Jones more about her inspirations and years of dedication to perfumery.
Hello Ambrosia! Thank you so much for your time I truly appreciate it!
1. I read on your blog that you are a lover of chocolate. Was there anything else other than your love of chocolate that made you create DEATH by CHOCOLATE and CRAVING Perfumes?
Well, chocolate is something that for most people has incredibly pleasant connotations...chocolate makes us feel happy, sensual, loved, spoiled...and it is these feelings that I wanted to explore to see if they translated into scent form."Death by Chocolate" is a study on the scent of cocoa itself....it is a very pure scent, chocolate without being sweet, chocolate that is elegant and refined....In "Craving" the cocoa is a bynote, combined with a number of other lucsious food ie notes...caramel, hazelnut and a very exotic Araibian Oud and musk base. The Cocoa here is more to accentuate the sensual nature of the perfume...and a play on the connection between sex and food, grin! The idea was to create a perfume that stimulated and tantalized all of the senses....
2. DEATH by CHOCOLATE reminds me of a fudge brownie dripping with gooey caramel sauce. Simply divine. How difficult, Ambrosia was it to capture the essence of chocolate and making it smells so edible?
Grin, I'm glad you think I did a good job of it! I spent a lot of time experiementing with different combinations and ingredients...
3. Ambrosia, I am feeling very hungry right now! You added musk, roasted hazelnuts and an very interesting ingredient...dark sultry cocoa liquor in CRAVING. What exactly is cocoa liquor?
The cocoa liquoer is a fragrance accord or note rather than an ingredient. It is the smell of cocoa liquor that is created by the combination of a number of ingredients, including cocoa absolute and Oud...
4. What are some of the things you love about being a natural perfumer?
What don't I love.... The ingredients themselves are probably the most beautiful thing about this art form....I love flowers and herbs and have rather a large collection of them growing in my garden too...and using ingredients from plants and flowers I know deeply and understand and connect to makes it more..intimate I guess you couldsay...It also means that I can make use of the emotional and physical effects of the oils and absolutes as well as their scent attributes when I am designing a perfume..."Craving" for instance has a number of oils with sensual aphrodisiac properties in it...
5. I know you are aware of the restrictions for perfumers, especially natural perfumers to conform to laws about what is prohibited in perfumes. How have you manage to work around or with these laws to continue to create what nature intended?
To purchase: http://www.perfumebynature.com.au/